Salford Quays: 18 Years In The Making
Salford Quays: the home of MediaCityUK is celebrating 18 Years In The Making this year. Located on Greater Manchester’s contemporary waterfront, Salford Quays’ venues and attractions will come together throughout 2018, starting this summer, with a host of festivities to revel in what was one of the first and largest regeneration projects in the UK – the creation of Salford Quays.
Laying the foundations for the beginning of Salford Quays’ story was the opening of The Lowry arts centre, which also celebrates its 18th anniversary in 2018. Since then the area has gone on to tell a fascinating story, becoming home to some of the most spectacular attractions and iconic buildings in the UK. Salford Quays is now aworld-class visitor, leisure, residential and business destination.
Visit Salford Quays this summer to celebrate; experience new theatre productions, see digital art displays and outdoor theatre, visit galleries, and watch stunning performances. There will also be themed menu offers, destination packages, artisan markets, and historical tours by water, to make the most of.
Reasons to visit Salford Quays this summer:
- Visit the wonderful Tudor Manor House, Ordsall Halland celebrate the beautiful gardens at this Grade II listed hall, at the annual Garden Party. (Sunday 15 July, 12pm-4pm). See majestic birds of prey from, climb aboard a vintage bus and listen to live music. There will also be arts and crafts, fairground rides and delicious food and drink.
- Lowry Outlet MediaCityUKwill host its fabulous Makers Market over the summer, for showcasing some of Manchester’s finest producers, the market will be pitching up on its open-air plaza selling artwork, handicrafts, vintage wares and an abundance of amazing artisan food and drink. Makers Market dates are Saturday 23rd- Sunday 24th June, Saturday 21st- Sunday 22nd July and Saturday 25th – Monday 27th August open Saturday (10am-7pm), Sunday (11am – 5pm) and Monday (10am-6pm).
- Take a stroll on The Salford Trail; the walk is divided into a series of ten walks with walk 1 starting from the cityscape of Salford Quays, and walk 8 finishing at Salford Quays. The whole trail is 50 miles/80 kilometres and the route is varied, going through rural areas and green spaces. It passes beside rivers and canals, through country parks, fields, woods and moss lands.
- Independent restaurant and bar located in the heart of Salford Quays, Lime has opened a new sushi bar; served from an open kitchen in the restaurant. All freshly made to order, and available for take away, choose from Nigiri, Maki Rolls, Uramaki, Sashimi, Tartare and Poke Rice Bowls.
- Visit The Lowry’s Open Day on Saturday 11 August. The attraction will open its doors for a day of free activities enabling visitors of all ages to explore the venue. Visitors will be able to take a look behind the scenes with backstage tours and workshops in lighting and sound. There will be the opportunity to get involved in a variety of performance related workshops, visit pop-up activity stations at several locations around the foyer, enjoy live music, and watch a live open air performance on the Plaza.
- EnjoyOpen Air Theatre at Ordsall Hall.The Hall’s gardens provide the perfect setting for a unique theatre experience. Starting on Thursday 21 June with Hamlet, the performances run until Sunday 26 August, other shows include Romeo & Julietand The Railway Children.
- Make a splash at Salford Quays with Helly Hansen Watersports Centre’s Salford SMile. With the clean waters of Salford Quays and support all around the basin, the fun 1-mile swim starts in the Mariners Canal and then onto Ontario Basin. There’s also a 50m Kids Dash for under 14s. All SMilers will receive a unique swim cap, an RNLI medal!
- With so much to see and do in just one day, stay weekend at Copthorne Hotel Manchester. Book its Eat. Savepackage and enjoy up to 25% off room rates when you spend a minimum of 3 nights in the hotel, and save with breakfast included in the rate.
- Set sail, and take a boat ride along Manchester’s historic ship canal and see the ultra-modern skyline from the water with City Centre Cruises, which offers a range of cruise attractions including Evening Dinner Cruises, Afternoon Tea CruisesandSunday Lunch Cruises.
- Take in the atmosphere at The Alchemist MediaCityUK.The eye-catching gold clad restaurant and bar includes an outdoor terrace, offering sweeping views of the water and surrounding area. Masters in molecular mixology, the carefully crafted drinks menu ensures a cocktail selection that is second to none including classics such as the Smokey Old Fashioned and new additions such as the Battenberg.
- Check out the 135 beautiful new waterfront apartments, all entirely for rent, available at Clippers Quay.Free Wi-Fi, gym and communal social spaces are all included – perfect for those looking for a new pad.
- Celebrate with bottomless Prosecco at The Lowry’s waterfront restaurant, Pier 8. Join them for dinner Thursday – Saturday after 8pm and they’ll keep your glass topped up. All you have to do is order three courses from its a la carte menu and you won’t pay you a penny for the fizz! T&C’s apply. For those with little ones, take advantage of Free Dessert! All children eating from its children’s menu will be entitled to a free dessert from the same menu.
- Experience Yogaon the water atHelly Hansen Watersports Centre– on a stand up paddleboard! Join Emily from The Health Cave at the weekly SUP Yoga sessions. SUP Yoga sessions held every Sunday until Sunday 30 September.
- BBC One’s Antiques Roadshowhas announced it will be filming at MediaCityUKthis summer.Fiona Bruce and the team of Antiques Roadshow experts will be waiting to welcome visitors, so dust off the family heirlooms and dig out those carboot bargains and bring them along for free advice and valuations. (Thursday 30thAugust)
- Unlocking Salford Quays:a permanent sculpture trail around The Quays, revealing the hidden history of the area from industrial hub to one of the country’s most prestigious waterside developments. Supported by The Heritage Lottery Fund, this project brings together local communities, artists, performers, writers and historians.
- The Lowryhouses the largest public collection of paintings and drawings by LS Lowryin the world. There are over 400 works in the collection, 57 of which are oil paintings.
Salford Quays is a hub for the Northwest’s best cultural, sporting and leisure destinations, including The Lowry, City Centre Cruises, Ordsall Hall, Helly Hansen Watersports Centre, Quays Culture andLowry Outlet. Also, located in the area are The Copthorne Manchester, Lime Restaurant, TheAlchemist MediaCityUK,and MediaCityUK.Housed within one square mile, all of its attractions are within easy walking distance, making it the ideal location for a day out or weekend break.
For more information on these events, visit www.thequays.org.uk
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/VisitTheQuays
Sign up to our newsletter: www.thequays.org.uk/mailinglist/
Follow us on Twitter: @VisitTheQuays
To schedule a press trip to The Quays or for more information including latest news and events, opening times and directions please contact Mason Williams Communications:
Tel: 0845 0941 007
Emily Cornish: *firstname.lastname@example.org
Joanne Greer: *email@example.com
Salford Quaysis Greater Manchester’s stunning waterfront destination and home to some of the most spectacular attractions and iconic buildings in the UK. Within just one square mile, visitors will find culture, history, heritage and sport interwoven throughout its attractions, which include The Lowry, Waxi, City Centre Cruises, MediaCityUK,Lime, Helly Hansen Watersports Centre, Ordsall Hall,The Alchemistand theLowry Outlet. Quays Cultureoffers a groundbreaking programme of public events. There is also a range of top-quality, yet affordable hotels in the area including, The Copthorne Manchester. Salford Quays is a one-stop destination for entertainment, dining out, arts & culture, and shopping, making it the ideal location for a day out or weekend break.
Sign up to the mailing list to receive all of the latest news about Salford Quays here: www.thequays.org.uk/mailinglist/
ABOUT SALFORD QUAYS
Salford Quays Marketing Partnership promotes Salford Quays as a tourism destination. Its membership comprises leisure and business venues from across Salford Quays highlighted above and Salford Council and Visit Manchester, the Greater Manchester Tourist Board. Clippers Quay has recently joined the partnership, in advance of opening its striking new residential development, from Grainger PLC.